Competing against the likes of Ford's Taurus, Dodge's Intrepid and Toyota's Camry, the Cutlass Supreme had three distinct body styles to bring to a highly competitive market segment. There's a good-size 4-door sedan for those with friends to bring along or children to strap into baby seats, a 2-door coupe for those who travel mostly alone or in pairs, and the only convertible midsize American car.
There's a single trim level in all three body styles, the SL. It included a full range of equipment that was usually optional on other cars. Most buyers opted for the 160-hp 3.1-liter V6, which was more than adequate to the task. Also available was the Twin Dual Cam 3400, a 24-valve V6 screamer that put out 210 hp. Both of these engines drove the front wheels through an electronically-controlled 4-speed automatic transaxle.
Year-to-year changes[edit | edit source]
1995[edit | edit source]
Changes for '95 included a major revamping of the Supreme's interior. Starting with dual airbags, safety improvements included added structure to exceed upcoming federal standards for side impacts. Seatbelts were now anchored to the floor and B-pillar rather than the door, and there was an adjustable guide loop for the seatbelt at the driver's and passenger's shoulder.
A new instrument panel, heating and air conditioning controls, and a full-size glovebox completed the interior. An integral CD player was available with steering-wheel mounted radio buttons. The suspension returned for more responsive steering and reduced body roll. Electronic Variable Orifice rack and pinion steering used an electrical solenoid to change power steering boost with varying vehicle speeds.
Retail prices[edit | edit source]
As of December 17, 1993:
- $17,670 (1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme S 2DR Coupe)
- $17,770 (1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme S 4DR Sedan)
As of mid-1994:
- $17,460 (1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Series I)
- $18,460 (1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Series II)
- $25,460 (1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 2DR Convertible)
As of August 1, 1995:
- $17,665 (1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Series I)
- $18,665 (1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Series II)
- $17,455 (1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Series I)
- $18,455 (1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Series II)
- $18,960 (1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Series III)
- $20,160 (1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Series 4)
Shipping prices[edit | edit source]
- $525 (1994 models)
- $535 (1995 models)
- $540 (1996 models)