Nissan's only SUV until 1999, the Pathfinder, was always sold as a four-door vehicle since the 1991 model year.
The Pathfinder was available with rear (XE only) or 4-wheel drive (XE and SE), all 4-doors and all equipped with Nissan's 3.0-liter sohc V6 engine, tuned for truck use. A specially designed intake manifold was used to optimize the engine's low- and mid-rpm pulling power, critical in off-road and trailer-towing applications. A 5-speed manual transmission was standard, with an electronically controlled 4-speed automatic as an option.
Positioned at the upper end of the compact-sport/utility market, major competitors for the Pathfinder included the Toyota 4Runner, Mitsubishi Montero and the Isuzu Trooper/Honda Passport twins. Buyers looking specifically for an imported utility vehicle have ignored the Jeep, Ford, Chevy and GMC offerings, as well as the Ford-built Mazda Navajo, which was only available with 2 doors. The Oldsmobile Bravada and Land Rover Discovery were also interesting luxury alternatives.
Year-to-year changes[edit | edit source]
1991[edit | edit source]
Power disc/drum brakes with rear-wheel ABS were standard on most models. Popular options were grouped into four packages (XE Sport Package, Convenience Package, SE Off-Road Package and Leather Trim Package) that would allow base and midrange models to be optioned up almost to the next level.
1994[edit | edit source]
Introduced in 1994 was the LE trim level. It came with 4-wheel drive, as well as standard rear discs that were optional on all other models.
1995[edit | edit source]
Changes for 1995 were mostly a juggling of trim packages. The luxury-oriented LE trim package was extended from 4-wheel drive (4x4) only models to also rear-wheel drive (4x2) models.
Retail prices[edit | edit source]
As of April 30, 1994:
- $19,669 (1994 Nissan Pathfinder XE without 4-wheel drive)
- $21,339 (1994 Nissan Pathfinder XE)
- $25,249 (1994 Nissan Pathfinder SE)
- $29,239 (1994 Nissan Pathfinder LE)
As of late 1994:
- $20,589 (1995 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4x2)
- $22,229 (1995 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4x4)
- $26,539 (1995 Nissan Pathfinder SE)
- $28,059 (1995 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x2)
- $30,359 (1995 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4)
As of June 1, 1995:
- $21,549 (1995 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4x2)
- $23,149 (1995 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4x4)
- $27,549 (1995 Nissan Pathfinder SE)
- $28,849 (1995 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x2)
- $31,249 (1995 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4)
As of January 12, 1996:
- $22,399 (1996 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4x2)
- $24,399 (1996 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4x4)
- $27,549 (1996 Nissan Pathfinder SE)
- $29,699 (1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x2)
- $32,129 (1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4)