Positioned at the entry-level end of the compact-pickup-truck spectrum, the Mighty Max was designed to attract value-conscious buyers who prized dependability and low cost over frilly styling. At its price point, the Mighty Max's primary competition came from the Isuzu pickup and the stripped base models from most other manufacturers.
Year-to-year changes[edit | edit source]
1992[edit | edit source]
The Mighty Max relied on the 2.4-liter inline 4-cylinder engine for power. It was rated at 116 horsepower at 5000 rpm and 136 ft.-lb. of torque at 3500 rpm. Electronic multipoint fuel injection, roller rocker arms and hydraulic valve lash adjusters contributed to both durability and reduced engine maintenance. Mitsubishi's 2.4 was one of the first mass-produced engines to feature dual balance shafts that reduce engine vibration. The base transmission was a 5-speed manual. A 4-speed automatic transmission was optional. The rear drum brakes featured a load-sensing proportioning valve that was used to adjust rear brake pressure to accommodate varying cargo loads, which helped to prevent rear brake lockup when the cargo bed is empty. All 2WD trucks used asbestos-free engine and transmission gaskets and clutch materials.
1995[edit | edit source]
The Mitsubishi Mighty Max line was cut back to a single model for 1995, the 2-wheel-drive standard cab. The extended Macrocab and all 4-wheel-drive versions were dropped in 1994. The 1995 Mighty Max came in only one trim level.
Changes to the 1995 Mighty Max 2WD included a new knit fabric upholstery and two new exterior colors, silver and gray.
Retail prices[edit | edit source]
- $6,849 (1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max 4x2 Regular Cab) 5 speed trans. without A/C, without Rear Bumper, Radio Delete
- $11,399 (1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max 4x2 Extended Cab) Automatic Trans, A/C, Rear Bumper, AM/FM Radio
- $14,859 (1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max 4x4) Automatic Trans, A/C, Rear Bumper, AM/FM Radio
As of September 12, 1994:
- $10,458 (1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max) Automatic Trans, A/C, Rear Bumper, AM/FM Radio
As of mid-1995:
- $10,557 (1995-1996 Mitsubishi Mighty Max) Automatic Trans, A/C, Radio Delete