Positioned toward the high end of the minivan market, the front- wheel-drive Mercury Villager was designed to appeal to buyers who seeked utility in a carlike package. Key competitors for the Mercury Villager included its twin, the Nissan Quest, plus the Toyota Previa and Chrysler Town & Country.
Year-to-year changes[edit | edit source]
1993[edit | edit source]
The Mercury Villager offered only a single powertrain, a 3.0-liter sohc V6, which was mated to a 4-speed automatic overdrive transmission.
The Villager was available in two body styles, cargo van and passenger wagon. Two trim lines were offered, the base-level GS and upscale LS. The cargo van had front bucket seats and a stripped interior.
The first models had an optional 7-passenger interior with front bucket seats, a reclining/folding/ removable 2-seat bench and a 3-passenger rear bench mounted on floor tracks that would run from the back of the van to just behind the front buckets. The bench seats could be folded and slided in numerous ways for lots of passenger/cargo-carrying versatility.
Major options include power windows, door locks and dual side mirrors, a keyless-entry system, air conditioning, cruise control and a sound system with earphone jacks and volume controls for rear passengers.
1994[edit | edit source]
A third trim line, the top-of-the-line Nautica, was introduced for 1994. It included most options, plus quad captain's chairs and a bench in leather.
1995[edit | edit source]
New exterior color combinations were the major change for '95.
Retail prices[edit | edit source]
- $17,885 (1994 Mercury Villager GS Cargo Van)
As of August 15, 1994:
- $18,455 (1995 Mercury Villager GS Cargo Van)
- $19,045 (1995 Mercury Villager GS)
- $23,825 (1995 Mercury Villager LS)
- $25,305 (1995 Mercury Villager Nautica)
As of October 1, 1995:
- $19,385 (1996 Mercury Villager GS Cargo Van)
- $19,940 (1996 Mercury Villager GS)
- $24,300 (1996 Mercury Villager LS)
- $26,390 (1996 Mercury Villager Nautica)
Shipping prices[edit | edit source]
- $540 (1993 to early 1995 models)
- $555 (1995 and early 1996 models)