The MPV was positioned near the upper end of the minivan market, where it competed with the GMC Safari, Oldsmobile Silhouette, Mercury Villager, Nissan Quest, Ford Windstar, Chevrolet Astro and Chrysler Town & Country.
The 3.0-liter V6 was the largest engine offered in the Japanese minivans, and torque to move seven people was sometimes in short supply. This was not a big disadvantage as long as Chrysler was offering the 3.0-liter Mitsubishi V6 as its biggest engine. But when Chrysler added its own 3.3-liter (and then 3.8-liter) high-torque V6 engine, and GM followed suit with the 3800 V6 in its APV-series minivans, buyers began to notice the torque deficiency.
For 1995, Mazda dropped its 2.6-liter Four (along with the manual transmission). The 3.0-liter V6 was now the only engine available. All MPVs now had 7-passenger seating. The former base model was replaced with the L, the LX replaced the former A, B and C option packages, and the LXE replaced the former D package.
Of late, Mazda tried to sell the MPV as a sort of van version of the 929 luxury sedan. Leather upholstery was available as an option. Rear disc brakes were made standard in 1994, along with side-impact beams and a center high-mounted brake light. There was also a 4-wheel-drive version available for improved winter- and wet-weather traction.
The DX replaced the L, and the ES replaced the LXE for 1996. Also, the MPV completely became a 4-door passenger minivan.
As of April 1, 1994:
- $18,500 (1994 Mazda MPV Cargo Van)
- $20,700 (1994 Mazda MPV Passenger Van)
- $23,700 (1994 Mazda MPV Passenger Van with 4-wheel drive)
As of September 1, 1994:
- $21,135 (1995 Mazda MPV L)
- $21,985 (1995 Mazda MPV LX)
- $24,375 (1995 Mazda MPV LXE)
- $25,380 (1995 Mazda MPV LX with 4-wheel drive)
- $27,670 (1995 Mazda MPV LXE with 4-wheel drive)
As of June 30, 1995:
- $21,595 (1995 Mazda MPV L)
- $22,475 (1995 Mazda MPV LX)
- $24,865 (1995 Mazda MPV LXE)
- $25,870 (1995 Mazda MPV LX with 4-wheel drive)
- $28,095 (1995 Mazda MPV LXE with 4-wheel drive)
As of December 18, 1995:
- $21,465 (1996 Mazda MPV DX)
- $22,255 (1996 Mazda MPV LX)
- $24,655 (1996 Mazda MPV ES)
- $25,255 (1996 Mazda MPV LX with 4-wheel drive)
- $27,555 (1996 Mazda MPV ES with 4-wheel drive)
- $455 (1994 models)
- $470 (early 1995 models)
- $480 (1995 models)