Ford's all-new front-drive, compact 4-door sedan, the Ford Contour, was known as the "world car" in 1994. With minor variations, it was sold in the United States, Europe and Asia. With a longer wheelbase but shorter overall length and lower price than the Taurus, Contour went up against such tough competition as Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Nissan Maxima, Dodge Intrepid and Pontiac Grand Prix.
Year-to-year changes[edit | edit source]
|GL 4DR Sedan||Base 4DR Sedan||N/A||1998|
|GL 4DR Sedan|
|LX 4DR Sedan||1999|
|SE 4DR Sedan||2000|
1995[edit | edit source]
Contour came in three trim levels: base GL, midlevel LX and sporty SE. Standard engine for GL and LX was a new "Zetec" 2.0-liter dohc Four rated at 125 horsepower. An optional 170-horsepower, 2.5-liter dohc "Duratec" V6 aws available, and this engine came standard on the SE. The all-aluminum V6 was one of the smallest and lightest such engines available.
Platinum-tipped spark plugs kept maintenance to a minimum for 100,000 miles. The Duratec V6 option also included 4-wheel disc brakes, larger tires and sport-tuned suspension. Both engines were used to mate with one of two all-new transaxles, a 5-speed manual or optional 4-speed automatic.
Standard features on all Contours included full solar glass, passenger "safety cell" body construction, dual airbags and an interior air filtration system. LX and SE came with foglights and trunk-located fold-down seatback releases. SE also included 15-inch alloy wheels, front bucket seats and a leather-wrapped steering wheel. Significant options included antilock brakes, all-speed traction control with throttle and brake intervention, a/c, leather seats for LX and SE and a variety of premium sound systems.
Retail prices[edit | edit source]
As of July 20, 1994:
- $13,310 (1995 Ford Contour GL)
- $13,995 (1995 Ford Contour LX)
- $15,695 (1995 Ford Contour SE)
As of June 15, 1995:
- $13,785 (1996 Ford Contour GL)
- $14,470 (1996 Ford Contour LX)
- $16,170 (1996 Ford Contour SE)
As of May 19, 1997:
- $13,460 (1997-1998 Ford Contour)
- $14,285 (1997 Ford Contour GL)
- $14,915 (1997 Ford Contour LX)
- $16,615 (1997 Ford Contour SE)
- $14,645 (1998 Ford Contour GL)
- $15,195 (1998 Ford Contour LX)
- $17,535 (1998 Ford Contour SE)
- $22,365 (1998 Ford Contour SVT)
Shipping prices[edit | edit source]
- $495 (early 1995 models)
- $510 (1995 and early 1996 models)
- $535 (1997-1998 models)