In the early '90s, the Eagle Talon, a 2-door hatchback, consisted of three models -- base and TSi Turbo (front- and all-wheel drive). These models were carried over to 1992.
In 1993, the Talon now had four models. Replacing the base hatchback were two new ones -- the DL and ES. All four models remained through 1994.
The Mitsubishi-built Talon was all-new for 1995, except for a few carryover powertrain components. It was basically identical to the Mitsubishi Eclipse. The former Plymouth version, the Laser, was discontinued. Sold by Jeep-Eagle dealers, the Talon competed with such sporty coupes as the Ford Probe, Mazda MX-6, Toyota Celica, Nissan 240SX, Chrysler Sebring, Dodge Avenger and the Eclipse.
Built in Mitsubishi's Diamond-Star facility in Normal, Illinois, three Talon models offered a choice of American or Japanese drivetrains, front-drive or all-wheel drive. The base ESi used a Chrysler-built 140-hp, 2.0-liter 16-valve dohc Four, mated to one of two Chrysler transaxles, a 5-speed manual or a 4-speed automatic.
Premium TSi models were powered by an enhanced version of Mitsubishi's turbocharged Four. Compared to the 1993-1994 models, output had been increased from 195 hp to 210 hp on cars with the 5-speed manual transaxle and 205 hp for the 4-speed automatics. Both these transmissions were made by Mitsubishi. Top-of-the-line model was the TSi AWD, which featured all-wheel drive for maximum traction and performance.
All Talons had new A-Arm independent front and rear suspensions. Standard equipment included a rear wiper/washer and 4-wheel disc brakes. ABS was optional. The redesigned interior featured dual airbags and full instrumentation. TSi models came equipped with foglights, heated exterior power mirrors, 16-in. aluminum wheels, dual exhausts, and a cassette radio with 6 speakers.
The 1995 Talon went on sale in June 1994.
As of October 17, 1993:
- $11,892 (1994 Eagle Talon DL)
- $14,362 (1994 Eagle Talon ES)
- $15,885 (1994 Eagle Talon TSi Turbo)
- $17,978 (1994 Eagle Talon TSi Turbo with all-wheel drive)
As of June 14, 1994:
- $14,362 (1995 Eagle Talon ESi)
- $17,266 (1995 Eagle Talon TSi Turbo)
- $19,448 (1995 Eagle Talon TSi Turbo with all-wheel drive)
As of mid-1995:
- $14,460 (1995 Eagle Talon ESi)
- $17,570 (1995 Eagle Talon TSi Turbo)
- $19,800 (1995 Eagle Talon TSi Turbo with all-wheel drive)
As of September 22, 1995:
- $14,830 (1996 Eagle Talon ESi)
- $18,015 (1996 Eagle Talon TSi Turbo)
- $20,271 (1996 Eagle Talon TSi Turbo with all-wheel drive)
As of July 27, 1997:
- $14,059 (1997 Eagle Talon)
- $14,830 (1997 Eagle Talon ESi)
- $18,015 (1997 Eagle Talon TSi Turbo)
- $20,271 (1997 Eagle Talon TSi Turbo with all-wheel drive)